Ok, so here’s what I got at the Big Bad Wolf Books sale today:
- Air, Geoff Ryman
- Money, Martin Amis
- Kraken, China Mieville
- The Historian, Elizabeth Kostova
- Chronicles of the Black Company, Glen Cook
- Market Forces, Richard Morgan
- The World Inside, Robert Silverberg
- Lowboy, John Wray
- Manhood for Amateurs, Michael Chabon
- All The King’s Men, Robert Penn Warren
- Grey, Jon Armstrong
- Neuropath, R. Scott Bakker
- The Great Book of Amber: The Complete Amber Chronicles 1-10, Roger Zelazny
- Star Wars: A Scanimation Book (for Max, of course)
- Project Manager Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to PMP Skills, Linda Kretz Zaval and Terri Wagner
- Project Management Communications Bible, William Dow and Bruce Taylor
- Crock-Pot Best-Loved Slow Cooker Recipes
Today was a preview-pass access only, and while I expected a lot of people, I did not expect quite so many. Only those who won the passes through the contests via their website (and perhaps some generous handouts to lucky, privileged people) were allowed to enter today. The actual day is tomorrow, and if today was any indication, tomorrow onwards would be insane.
The selection was good, and more varied that your usual warehouse sales. Some warehouse book sales were varied, but the selection was thin. Boasting 1.5 million books, I suppose you couldn’t accuse it of lacking.
I like these sales (and BBW’s in particular) because of the kind of gems you can uncover – the kinds that were either too expensive in normal bookstores, or you just couldn’t find elsewhere. It’s kinda like a treasure hunt.
This year there weren’t any gasps of astonishment or whoops of joy at finding a gem, but there were a few that I didn’t mind having. I suppose I did find one that I’m pretty pleased with – John Wray’s highly regarded Lowboy. I had the privilege of talking to him in Bookbabble last year (at least for a short while), and from all accounts his books come highly recommended. Looking forward to it.
My haul’s in the next post, so go check there for what I got. Here are some pics I took of the event. I have to say it’s incredibly poor representation of what’s there (I stood just a little back from the half-way line of the showfloor). I was busy browsing, and with Max on my arms and the clock ticking down I sort of took these as a quick snapshot of the moment (the bloody host that hosted the pictures went down, so I have to find the photos and host them again; until then you’ll have to imagine it, because I’ve got to remove the dead links).